Saturday, June 13, 2009

Melancholy

When I have free time, I am reading a book by the Nobel-Prize winning Turkish author Orhan Pamuk called "Istanbul: Memories of a City". In this book, Pamuk discusses at length the concept of melancholy. He sees it as being integral to understanding Istanbul, the city of his youth. In Turkish, "melancholy" is rendered as "huzun" - a word derived from Arabic, with overtones of deep spiritual loss and dissatisfaction.

I've been trying to figure out why I like Tomsk. The locals are hospitable. Everything is green and luscious. As I am constantly reminded by my host mother (who I recently found out used to run a matchmaking business), Siberian women are beautiful. Nevertheless, one can find all these things in any number of places. What I think attracts me is Tomsk's faded glory - the ornate, decaying wooden homes, churches with golden cupolas and bare interiors, the crumbling Baroque-style theater. One is intensely aware of past riches and present poverty. I love America because of its buoyant optimism, but I appreciate spending time in a place where its ok to be sad, where it is evident that things aren't as they should be.

Having said all that, I am off to my first Russian soccer match ever! It promises to be an interesting experience!

Warmest regards to all...

3 comments:

  1. Hm, it sounds like Olga Evgen'evna has plans for you... (I am living vicariously through you, I really miss Tomsk, so keep it up.)

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lauren there :-)

    Also, I'd like to point out that the denizens of Tomsk don't look at the sad state of the city with thoughts of nastalgic romance. As I am sure you understand that living in a city thats a shadow of former glory can be depressing.

    You sound like an observer to me, you observe and reminisce. Nothing wrong with that ofcourse, just don't forget to understand a bit of what it is today.

    ReplyDelete