Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Trip to the Beer Factory

As part of our cultural program, we visited the local beer factory in Tomsk. It is a fairly large, gated complex run by a German company staffed with Russian workers. As I entered the main building, one of the workers came up to me and asked if I was German. I have a feeling the tour usually caters to obese, middle aged German tourists. They were visibly surprised to find out that we were American.
I was impressed with the cleanliness of the facilities, especially the bathroom. No unpleasant odors, no questionable puddles, no broken mirrors. In preparation for the tour, everyone donned pristine white lab coats and functional headphone sets in order to listen to the tour guide. I'm sure the workers were probably thinking, "Here we go again, another bunch of Germans come to gawk," as we toddled around the factory in our ridiculous outfits.
Making beer is a complex business. I didn't understand all the wisdom our Soviet-era guide imparted. However, I did take away the fact it is a multistep process that involves heating and cooling at various stages. After the tour, we were invited to taste the final product. I am no connoisseur of beer, but I enjoyed the taste. Following the example of my friend Sierra, I took one of the coasters for memory's sake.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Rowan, glad to see another post from you. =)

    I think labcoats are required because the whole beer ordeal also involves yeast and culture contamination is very possible. So its like a biology lab.

    You didn't mention the brand, do they sell here in US?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hurrah, another post! I'm noticing how Rowan's posts run on the same general topic: tea with cognac, beer... hmm...

    We had to tour a beer factory as part of summer work for microbiology, and it really is very complicated. Companies can have secret yeast strains that produce a distinct flavor, and they guard them well. They told us it is more complicated to make beer than any other alcoholic beverage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the other hand we make kvass in the kitchen: toasted 100% rye bread, thinly sliced lemons, boiling water, sugar and when luke-warm, yeast. Sits for two days under the counter. Strained, bottled in old twist top bottles and put in the fridge. No lab coats. And tonight: okroshka!

    Do you remember the micro-brewery in Kazan. Gleaming copper, fragrant, a faint deep hum... Was the Tomsk place similar?

    How are the mosquitoes?

    Podge

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would not have taken you for an obese, middle aged, German. What has happened to you? Will we recognize you when you return? Our Austria, Slovakia, Poland, pre-trip get-together is at Walker's this Sunday. Polly has organized a "Slovakia" themed menu. I am responsible for bringing a supply of pivo; Slovakian Zlaty Bazant. I also have a few bottles of Polish Zywiec. My grandfather's family was from Poland. Zivili!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember touring a Russian beer factory ("Baltika") in the outskirts of Saint-Petersburg. It was also very scientific, clean, and nice. I especially liked the "beer-tasting" at the end of the tour (i.e. drink a lot of Baltika beer :) ).

    P.S.: I liked a quick kvas recipe, putting a lemon there is an interesting twist, I have to try making it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The brand of beer is called "Tomskoe Pivo". I'm not sure if it's sold in America.

    The Tomsk factory was much larger and more complex than the facility in Kazan. However, it did have the same hum and odor (I don't know what it is exactly).

    The mosquitoes aren't bad yet. However, I did get bitten quite a bit at the Extreme Park in the woods outside Tomsk yesterday. Apparently the spray here isn't strong enough to ward off hungry Siberian mosquitoes out for American blood.

    I hope I will not come back looking like a fat German tourist and that you will be able to recognize me.

    ReplyDelete