Friday, July 3, 2009

Happy Independence Day!

To family and friends:

I wish you a peaceful, restful, and delightful Fourth of July. And as you chow down on all manner of tasty things (burgers, hot dogs, corn on the cob), don't forget about us ex-pats abroad in foreign places. We have no concrete plans to celebrate the holiday in Siberia, but as I mentioned earlier, things happen spontaneously here.

Our group just returned from Novosibirsk, where I attended my first opera (Prince Igor - 4 hours long), ate the most disgusting shwarma in my life at the highly questionable "Grill Master" next to the hotel (what was I thinking?), and learnt all about the intricacies of trains at the "Museum of Railroads". My favorite exhibit was the "hospital coach" on one of the Soviet trains, where they showcased the surgical instruments used during World War II. Suffice to say, I'm awfully grateful to be living in 21st century America!

2 comments:

  1. And Happy Independence Day to you, Rowan. We're going to miss you (all) at our traditional picnic, albeit on the 5th instead of the 4th. But alas, there will only be parental units attending. We'll do it again when you (all) get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful with where you buy your food in Russia! You know all the jokes about cats in Chinese cuisine, right? Well, in Russia they may just be closer to the real picture...

    (I have to admit, though, that I love shwarma and have indeed eaten at questionable places with no problems in Russia :D )

    ReplyDelete