Wednesday, July 15, 2009

An incomprehensible English phrase

Every day I eat lunch at the "Univer City" Cafe with my Russian language comrades. And every day I am served lunch by a waitress wearing a black shirt with the following written on the front in English: "We must eat our suckers with the wrappers on." Over the course of my brief stay here in Siberia, I have been struggling to understand what this might possibly mean. Perhaps there is some deeper esoteric significance. In any event, it gives me something to muse about during grammar class... I mean - as I walk home from school to meet my fate chez Konyshevs.

5 comments:

  1. Why don't you ask the waitress? I am intrigued by the phrase, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like Rushglish to me. That's when Russians who don't really speak English make up cool sounding phrases with the aid of a dictionary. Its all the craze in Asia! You should check out Engrish.com Its full of charmers like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is likely an estoric phrase conjured up by the dental association designed to prevent tooth decay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds to me like something along the lines of "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade"

    ReplyDelete