Sunday, July 19, 2009

Reality Check

When I dropped by my host-mother's store today, I was met by a homeless person. He was completely drunk. He just sat on the sidewalk and stared off into the distance. Flies swarmed his face. One foot was bloody with cuts. He wore a thicket, dark jacket, even though it was well above 90. He had no teeth, a scraggly beard, and blood-shot eyes. My host-mother called the police. They arrived after about half an hour later. I asked Olga, "What are the police going to do with him?" "They'll take him somewhere else?" "And what then?" "He'll just sit in another place." And I sat there in the store, having stuffed myself with tvorog (a Russian pastry), blini, salad, and soup. I felt like vomiting it all back up. How can one be so indifferent to such suffering? A few hours have passed since this encounter, and nothing has changed. That man is no doubt lying in a park somewhere craving his next drink. I'm sitting in front of my laptop, worrying about my future, my needs, my wants, my career. Life just continues along. Sometimes I find this fact very difficult to deal with in the face of such misery.

3 comments:

  1. I understand what you mean, Rowan. Such is the life, and it is not just in Russia, but all over the world. I know these are just words on a website, but we must all learn to be compassionate and loving in order to eliminate life's horrors, although it seems like a very impossible task at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, a reality check. These situations are so overwhelming because we are so powerless as individuals to do anything about the problem at large. However, as Christians we have the opportunity--and probably obligation--of bring these individuals before God. Even walking down the street and seeing person after person, we can pray for each of them as we pass them by. In fact, God may have put that particular person in your path for that very purpose. So, even though he may be in some other park lying in a stupor, you can still pray for him throughout the day wherever you are. When I'm in this situation I am reminded that I may be the only person praying for that individual. May God grant you a compassionate heart for him, and them, and the discernment and wisdom to pray appropriately for their needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what to say. Zillions of people said tomes of books on the subject. What can I add? Perhaps that prayer alone is not enough, I know that. Can I say no to Wii, the PS2 we just bought, fancy hair clips and chiffon skirt. I don't 'need' any of those things, and yet I enjoy my sushi tuna ball and laugh at Bruno jokes while rape is used at a weapon of war this very second in Congo. Its not just the Russians who are indifferent, it is the whole developed world. Just like in the creed though, I, myself is a sinner, "OF WHOM I AM FIRST" (the sinners). I, I don't know how to stop when its all so clear.

    ReplyDelete